HOME       HEADLINES     COLLECTING     MASTER LISTS     FORUMS     PROTOTYPES     BEND-EMS     CONTACT
  Main     Active Topics   Search   FAQ   Forgot PW?

to POTF2.COM

All Forums
 Movies & Extended Universe
 The Classics
 OT on Blu-ray... probably not anytime soon
 Printer Friendly

All Members can post NEW topics in this forum
  All Members can REPLY to topics in this forum
Author Previous Topic OT on Blu-ray... probably not anytime soon Next Topic  

Aaron
I ♥ Bend-Ems

USA
10157 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2012 :  9:33:13 PM   

Home video rights are a tricky thing, and in this case, fans can be forgiven for their immediate assumption. After all, Disney bought Lucasfilm, right? The problem is that there are existent deals in place concerning the first six films and the "Clone Wars" television series that aren't going to suddenly change just because of this sale. Those obligations are going to be playing themselves out for several years to come.

In the case of the "Star Wars" movies, the earliest Disney would have a chance to release anything would be in the year 2020, and even then, they aren't going to have the rights to "A New Hope," which remain with Fox permanently.

Read the full article here:

http://www.hitfix.com/motion-captured/dont-expect-to-see-the-original-editions-of-star-wars-on-blu-ray-any-time-soon

homofett
he's worth a lot to me <3

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2012 :  9:57:01 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkWeMvrNiOM&sns=tw
Go to Top of Page

DarthTad
Sir Lance Goodthrust

1848 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2012 :  12:39:54 AM

I also read somewhere that Disney acquired the rights to the OT with "encumbrances." Which, while they couldn't be specific, I'm assuming means they can't go back and restore the current versions of the films to whatever they want. I think Lucas still has some control over that.

"Something, something, something, Dark Side. Something, something, something, complete."
Go to Top of Page

subpopz
Ω (Retired POTF2 Administrator)

10098 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2012 :  07:44:40 AM

Does it have to be official to be good?
If he won't give fans what they want.....they'll get it themselves.

I've had 2 different 1080p copies of ANH for a while now. One is the 1977 movie itself, beautifully remastered by fans into HD. The other is a 1080p split screen - one half showing the 1977 and the other showing the 'new' version. They play simultaneous and are perfectly synced to watch both at the same time. (The added scenes in the new are filled with a starfield background on the 1977 version).

Regardless of what becomes 'official' or what Disney or Fox does with the films, fans will always have what they treasured and will make available to other fans. So what Disney/Fox do with the films in terms of official releases or previous films doesn't concern me too much. I have versions I can treasure and enjoy for years to come without any tarnish of the new that I don't care for.
Go to Top of Page

Lemmiwinks
The President of the United States of America

Libya
7273 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2012 :  09:41:53 AM

quote:
Originally posted by subpopz

Does it have to be official to be good?
If he won't give fans what they want.....they'll get it themselves.

I've had 2 different 1080p copies of ANH for a while now. One is the 1977 movie itself, beautifully remastered by fans into HD. The other is a 1080p split screen - one half showing the 1977 and the other showing the 'new' version. They play simultaneous and are perfectly synced to watch both at the same time. (The added scenes in the new are filled with a starfield background on the 1977 version).

Regardless of what becomes 'official' or what Disney or Fox does with the films, fans will always have what they treasured and will make available to other fans. So what Disney/Fox do with the films in terms of official releases or previous films doesn't concern me too much. I have versions I can treasure and enjoy for years to come without any tarnish of the new that I don't care for.

Is there a place where I can get anamorphic versions of the OT? Or simulated anamorphic? Something that can fill my widescreen? I can stretch what I have not but it gives Leia wide hips.
Go to Top of Page

subpopz
Ω (Retired POTF2 Administrator)

10098 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2012 :  10:52:49 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Lemmiwinks

Is there a place where I can get anamorphic versions of the OT? Or simulated anamorphic? Something that can fill my widescreen? I can stretch what I have not but it gives Leia wide hips.

Yes....I am not sure of all the versions out there at the moment. There's quite a few out there. There's actually a whole 'movement' of people who want to preserve the original trilogy as it was pre-special edition for the digital age. For example, I know there was one fan who was taking the Laserdisc 1977 original and converting it to the 3D technology of today. I think he did finish them.
I'd have to go looking. Various fans used various sources of the originals for bringing them up to todays standards since Lucas wouldn't.
I know for sure there are anamorphics out there though. The ones I have are not...they are 'regular' widescreen.
Go to Top of Page

homofett
he's worth a lot to me <3

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2012 :  6:14:09 PM

The people over at http://originaltrilogy.com/ forums have every version of Star Wars you could want
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic OT on Blu-ray... probably not anytime soon Next Topic  
 Printer Friendly

Jump To:

This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.

Forums powered by Snitz Forums 2000

Copyright © 1997-2013 POTF2.COM - All Rights Reserved
POTF2.COM, POTJ.COM, Auction Probe and related marks are trademarks of POTF2.COM.

Star Wars and the Star Wars logo are registered trademark and/or copyright Lucasfilm, Ltd.

POTF2.COM | BehindTheToys.com | SWBendEms.com | ActionMasters.com